Touch Assignment

Julia Bicho 

The chapter on touch had a lot of information on all aspects relating to "touch" physical, biological, metaphorical, and analytical. There is a list of examples of how the sense of touch is important to the human experience in life. A part of the chapter that really stood out to me was the concept of hair, in the book the author, says that hair has a lot of nerve particles and protects parts of our skin that can be more sensitive. In the book, the author mentions how hair is displayed in different cultures, and how certain cultures see woman that have thicker hair as healthier, this stuck out to me because I have extensions to have thicker hair, this is something that makes me feel better about myself, however, I know a lot of girls typically get them to fit societal standards, which is why I wanted to include this in my art.


In my first artwork, I took a photo of my hair extensions and colored in the hair and extensions to show the texture in the sewed in row of extensions, and how they are placed on the head when people get them. This will show the extensive work that goes into installing these extensions, this is an example of how far people go to have the "healthy" look of social standards. 


In my second artwork, I created a pattern out of the extensions. I wanted to show that extensions are not only a fashion statement in certain places but also a form of art, they change the perception of the way people look and feel about themselves, similar to adding a tattoo to your body or applying makeup. 


 


Comments

Popular Posts